十二月のスキェジュル

- Update blog whenever she feels like it
- Watch out for new releases for manga (daily)
- Get 2 volumes of Japanese manga from Hakusensha or any other manga publisher
- Finish her short stories
- Back up savedata
- Survive PG and hopefully, PhD
- Complete most of her games in her game list
- Catalogue her mountain of unzipped and uncategorized manga in her desktop / hard disk
- Finish the drama that she's got in her hard disk

- (11/28) プリンスPiaキャロット [PC]
- (12/19) 放課後colorful*step ~うんどうぶ!~ [PSP]
- (12/19) 大正鬼譚 [PSP]
- (12/19) 月影の鎖 ~狂爛モラトリアム~ [PSP]
- (12/19) 剣が君 [PC]
- (12/26) Jewelic Nightmare

NB: Despite the overall static-ness of the blog, the game page is updated every now and then because gaming is something she'll never give up, ever.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Continuation of Exam Hell


THE WORST IS FINALLY OVER!

I'm so happy that the worst of the subjects are over, which is add math, biology, physics and chemistry. The only thing standing in my way of the midyear holidays is math alone, which will be the last subject and it's tomorrow.

Speaking of Chemistry, I should really be laughing at myself for what I did during paper III. For the last section, Section C, we were required to plan an experiment.
The question required us to plan two experiments to determine the reactivity and the chemical properties of potassium, sodium and lithium. We were given the apparatus and materials; which includes a crucible tong, a knife, filter papers, a gas jar filled with chlorine gas, a gas jar with gas jar spoon and a water basin.

First, was to tackle the aim. That's easily done.
Then, it's the hypothesis and the variables. Same.
Then came to the actual planning of the experiment. I was stunned.
I didn't know how the experiment was going to be set up and how I'm supposed to write the procedure for it. So, I just created my own experiment by using whatever that's given.

I drew a gas jar spoon with a black mass which I labeled as 'burning potassium' and the spoon was inserted into a gas jar filled with chlorine gas.
So, I wrote the procedure as:
  1. Set up the apparatus as shown above.
  2. Using a knife, cut the potassium into smaller pieces for faster reaction.
  3. Put the potassium piece into the gas jar spoon and light it with a splinter.
  4. Insert the gas jar spoon into the gas jar filled with chlorine gas immediately.
  5. Put the gas jar into a basin filled with water (I'm glad it cut this off!)
  6. Observe the changes in the gas jar.
  7. Repeat steps 1-5 (6 became 5) by replacing potassium with sodium and lithium.
  8. Record the observations in the space provided.
I didn't manage to draw the set up for the second one. But I wrote this:
  1. Cut the potassium into smaller pieces by using a knife.
  2. Put the potassium piece into the water basin filled with water.
  3. Observe the change.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 by replacing potassium with sodium and lithium.
  5. Record the observations in the space provided.
Like I said, I didn't know what the hell I was actually doing. I just planned something that seems logical to me. At first, I thought that since potassium is highly explosive, I should put it into a water basin filled with water to counter the explosion, if it were to happen. But I'm glad that I strike that off. Why?

CAUSE I ACTUALLY GOT THE EXPERIMENT RIGHT!
ZOMG!

Hard to believe, eh?
Same thing with the water basin too. Since the other apparatus were already used, the only thing I could think of was to throw the potassium, sodium and lithium into the water, let it fizzle and hopes that it explodes. I'm still waiting for an experiment which I could see some exploding action...
The only thing I forgot to use is the filter paper; which I found out later is to rub off the layer of oil on the surface of the three metals. But hey, at least I got most of the things right...

This experiment was in Form 4's Chapter 4: The Periodic Table; under subtopic Chemical Properties of Group 1 metals.
'Cause the stupid teacher didn't teacher last year, I couldn't understand a single thing other than the neutron, proton and electron numbers; nucleon numbers and the octet-electron arrangement.
So I'm pretty glad that I could think of this in the exams. But I doubt that I'll be this lucky during the trials and the real examination.

Yeah, even if the holidays are starting soon (real soon!), I'll still have to work. I even have to attend tuition on my birthday, and it's ADD MATH class for 3 hours! What a way to celebrate.

And I won't be getting my license so soon. Maybe after SPM?
I'm not so eager to drive; I don't want to be my sibs' chauffeur.

Okay, that's just how my hellish month of examination has come to an end.
(Technically, it hasn't ended yet; last paper is tomorrow, but whatever!)

Now, I'm off to watch CSI and munch away on my mom's Ribena Cheese cake!
It's healthy cause it's partly made out of yogurt instead of the full load of cream cheese- then it'll be really unhealthy. :D