十二月のスキェジュル

- Update blog whenever she feels like it
- Watch out for new releases for manga (daily)
- Get 2 volumes of Japanese manga from Hakusensha or any other manga publisher
- Finish her short stories
- Back up savedata
- Survive PG and hopefully, PhD
- Complete most of her games in her game list
- Catalogue her mountain of unzipped and uncategorized manga in her desktop / hard disk
- Finish the drama that she's got in her hard disk

- (11/28) プリンスPiaキャロット [PC]
- (12/19) 放課後colorful*step ~うんどうぶ!~ [PSP]
- (12/19) 大正鬼譚 [PSP]
- (12/19) 月影の鎖 ~狂爛モラトリアム~ [PSP]
- (12/19) 剣が君 [PC]
- (12/26) Jewelic Nightmare

NB: Despite the overall static-ness of the blog, the game page is updated every now and then because gaming is something she'll never give up, ever.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Disappointment

As you all might now know, the Malaysian government has already made its decision to revert the medium of instruction back to Malay.

At first, I had a whole lot to say (and probably even flame) but considering that the government is now screening blogs, I don't want to get in trouble with the ISA.
The irony is, what I wrote in my coursework paper might get me in hot soup instead.
Yes, my coursework paper for Malaysian Studies is the ISA.
Yes, I am a college student.
And yes, I know what sort of unspeakable acts and torture that the detainees endure while being locked up in small, windowless cells in Kamunting Detention Centre.
I done enough research to know that we're being oppressed and suppressed from exercising our freedom of speech, thought and conscience, security and arbitrary arrest.
And no, I do not plan to be a social activist, lawyer or politician.
Heck, I have no interest in politics and its blood-stained world.

Out of all the flame that I was going to blow out, I'll only have one thing to say:

As a former Malaysian public education student, I feel that all students are basically being treated as guinea pigs in the name of Education. Syllabes aren't updated, instead, they are wholly rewritten. I understand that new things are being churned up by educationalists, but this is no way for the government to apply it to the system.

Each time they rewrite the syllables, thousands nay, trillions of books are being destroyed. That also brings to mind the unmentionable number of trees that are cut down to make the books. They're cutting down more trees than they can replant. So how can we promote being a earth-conscience and green country?

Reverting the medium of instruction back to Malay doesn't signify patriotism, it's digging the mass grave for the future generation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the Malay language; I'm just saying that they are condemning the future generation to a bleak and dark future, so goes for the country's dream of achieving the status of being developed.

Think about it, how much technical and scientific terms can you teach in an English class? Throughout my 11 years in public education, I've not heard more than five scientific terms in my English lessons! How do you expect the students to familiarize themselves with those terms when they step into higher education?
Here's one reality that you have to face, ALL reference books in university and college level are in ENGLISH. How do you expect the students to understand any of them if everything they studied in was in Malay?
No matter how many teachers and lesson hours you add to improve the standard of English, it'll NEVER work with the mentality and mindset that most people have.
Well, what do you care? Your kids are either in international or overseas boarding schools.

Mind you, my English isn't and will never be resulted from the lousy education that I got from public school. Yes, you heard me, LOUSY.
My parents were far-sighted enough to have me sent to English Language classes at the age of 5; even when I was kicking and screaming on the floor, saying that I'll never go.
I'm glad that I went, and am forever thankful to my parents and my teacher (who is now my mentor in every sense).

I'm also glad that I finally got out of the crappy education system.
And since I am in a private institute, I am not subjected to any changes they make to higher education.
In three years, I'll be doing a twinning program elsewhere; and hopefully, remain there.
So what if you call me unpatriotic, I wouldn't care less about your opinion of me.
If I am to get married in future, I don't want my kids to be subjected to crappy education as I have.

Thus, I stand here, ashamed to say that I'm a Malaysian; with reasons of the existence of the ISA and its controversial arrests, and the near-sightedness of educationists who are robbing both the future generation and the country of its bright future.
I'd rather stay that I'm a Singaporean, since that's where I was born.
Like I said before, I couldn't care less about your opinion of me.
This is me, and this is what I think.
I'm exercising my right to freedom of speech and freedom of thought and conscience. And the last time I checked, I didn't overstep my boundaries.
If the ISA comes knocking at my door, it'll just prove my stated point above.
With that, I end my opinion.
I had more to say; but my parents told me if I have nothing nice to say, then I shouldn't say anything at all.
And believe me, this is put in the nicest and least harsh way possible.
________________________________________

The writer is a college-going teen who is sick of the crappy education that she has received for the past 11 years. She is not a pol-sci, philosophy or sociology student; she just happens to have opinions of her own about the world and life. She has no intent to join the political world either.
"I've thrown away the sense of pity and guilt, but I don't want to stain my hands with blood or do anything against my principles," she claims.
She can be found wandering the bookshelves of her college library, lamenting about the small number of books that it has. She's most happy left alone to read or write.